Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Homeless Plunge

After our time serving at the Glide, we were immediately briefed and "kicked" out of the WYAM facility onto the street with $1.50 for the adults, $.50 for the students. (bus fare) We were not allowed back until 4:00. The objective of this day was to experience what it was like to be homeless and learn to share Christ’s living on the street. So, we set out with our list of places to get food, a little bit of money, no map, and Christ as our strength. Each of our teams went to different places, Kristin’s and Marnie’s teams decided to head toward “Hippie park” and my team went more into the downtown area.

Speaking personally from my experience, I was really challenged as lunch time came. Satan was really working hard on me trying to convince me that I would stick out like a sore thumb standing in the 1-2 block line to get food. I was afraid that either the people would be mad that we were taking their food or that they would just keep asking what we were doing there. But, I did it anyways, that is what we were there to do. (suck it up Jim!)

Upon arrival at the St. Anthony’s Dining Room, we saw a line that went from the entrance at mid block all the way to the corner and half way down the other block. Oh MY! I can’t do this!

Thanks to my brave team that had no fear, we got in line. The first thing I noticed was how many people were in line that looked like me. (I already noticed those that didn’t) Dressed like they were going to work in an office. The line moved relatively quick and soon we were in the door. All through that process my fears just slowly went away. Once inside, we walked through the line, got our food and saw smiles on every single persons face that was there serving….us!

They were showing God’s love to me now and I was challenged to return that love to others.
We sat down and I immediately met John, a guy that had a horrible life growing up. His mother passed away 3 months ago and his father didn’t even let him know. In the last 9 months he lost his job, his wife, his car, and his home. His struggle with alcohol had destroyed everything he had. He said he didn’t have a single family member that would give him the time of day. What he did have was Christ in his heart and hope through Christ’s strength. John and I talk through our whole meal and as he started to get up I asked him if he could take a few more minutes so I could pray for him. He agreed and after I finished praying, I looked up to a sad face and tears running down his cheek. He said “thanks brother, I may not have a family that loves me but at least I have a brother in Christ that does.” I spent the next minute fighting back the tears myself. Oh, how selfish I had become again thinking only of my fears and not thinking about why God had me here at this time at this place. Thank you Lord for teaching me, again.

The rest of the day, we walked the streets, talked to people, hung out at a park and took a nap or two. I realized how bored a homeless person must get. Most of us would dream of having a totally down day, no todo’s, no responsibilities, no phones, no schedule, no anything. OK, I had my day like that and I am now looking for a good in between. Overall, I think we met the objective for the day and have a new view of a homeless persons typical day.

No comments:

Post a Comment